Flinn Works was founded as Flinntheater in 1992 and is led by co-artistic directors Sophia and Lisa Stepf. It has independently produced and presented more than 20 productions in a wide range of different venues and festivals. Always engaging with current social and political issues, the company devises its work in collaboration with professional artists and performers. Flinn Works has expanded its activities beyond Europe, with the input of writers, performers and musicians from other countries, including India, Bangladesh, Tanzania and Nigeria.
Through the investigation of questions that resonate globally, performance, music and text are created with artists who work in different art forms and locations. The style of each Flinn Works production varies, as determined by the key artists and performers and their specific skills and experiences. Flinn Works has a strong commitment to engaging with the next generation of audience members, and regularly offers education workshops and subsidised tickets for young people from the age of 15 and up.
Flinn Works' productions include:
- WIR SIND BRUCE! (2007), a work for theatre performed in the City of Kassel’s local dialect
- INDIA SIMULATOR™ (2009), a futuristic assessment centre with texts commissioned from Indian writers
- A SMALL SMALL WORLD (2011, co-production with the Goethe-Institutes in Dhaka and Bangalore), documentary theatre about the Bangladeshi refugee Hamidur Rahman
- DAS A-CASTING (2011, co-production with the Hebbel am Ufer in Berlin), with texts commissioned from Indian writers for performers with a family background of migration
- THE POWER PLAY (2012), a meditation on energy and electricity, created as a co-production with the Lagos_Live Festival
- C SHARP C BLUNT (2013), a solo work produced in India about the paradoxical professional lives of female performers in the Indian entertainment industry.
- SHILPA - THE INDIAN SINGER APP (2013) was created as the European edition of C SHARP C BLUNT, produced in Berlin and Kassel.
- KRISHNA’S ELITE (2013) employed a semi-documentary format to investigate the mindsets of future world leaders from India.
- KOSA LA VITA was developed as a collaboration between Flinntheater and Quartett PLUS 1, and explored documentary music theatre whilst undertaking the flausen – young artists residency at the Theater Wrede+ in Oldenburg in 2013. Flinntheater/Quartett PLUS 1 was the first group to ever be awarded this residency twice, and as a result the research project continued in 2015 with KOSA LA VITA - REVISION.
- SONGS OF THE T-SHIRT (2015) a docufictional performance on the textile industry in Bangladesh, for European audiences.
- SCHÄDEL X (Skull X) and MAJI MAJI FLAVA are two performances created in 2016, centering around Germany's colonial history in East Africa.
In 2009 Flinn Works was awarded the Kasseler Kulturpreis, the cultural award of the Dr.-Wolfgang-Zippel-Stiftung. The 2009 play, INDIA SIMULATOR™, won several awards, among them the audience prize at the Hessisches Theatertreffen in 2011. In 2014, C SHARP C BLUNT won three META awards (Mahinda Excellency in Theatre Awards) in Delhi, and the European edition, SHILPA, won the Secondo Festival in Aarau and the ZKB Patronage Prize at the Zürcher Theater Spektakel, Switzerland.
Flinntheater regularly tours its productions in Germany; Switzerland and India, and has travelled to Dhaka, Lagos, Washington, Johannesburg, Dar-es-Salaam, Singapore and Hong Kong. The company works closely with the production platform ehrliche arbeit - freies kulturbüro in Berlin and is funded for projects by the Kulturamt der Stadt Kassel, Hauptstadtkulturfonds Berlin, Berliner Senat, Hessisches Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst, Fonds Darstellende Künste, Kulturstiftung des Bundes, Gerhard-Fieseler-Stiftung, Kasseler Sparkasse, Sparda Bank Hessen, kara burun tours, WELL being Stiftung, Gummi Hübner, Schloß Bröllin e.V. and Goethe-Institutes in India, Nigeria and Bangladesh.
Flinn Works / Flinntheater e.V. is a registered not-for-profit association (e.V.).